Let’s face it, mold is everywhere. Bathrooms, kitchens, basements and crawlspaces–anywhere where there is a heavy concentration of heat and moisture–can become a breeding ground for airborne mold and mildew spores. Even newly constructed homes are not immune to the threat of mold. Some studies suggest that as many as 30% of newly built houses will have mold. Settling into many common building materials such as plywood, drywall, and carpeting, mold spores will begin their growth within 24 hours to 10 days (given ideal growing conditions).
Once firmly entrenched in the warm nooks and crannies of a house mold can, at high levels, begin to affect indoor air quality and over time become a serious health risk to homeowners. Health issues and conditions associated with the continuous inhalation of mold and mildew spores can range from the benignly irritating to the seriously hazardous; causing allergic reactions, asthma, eye, nose and throat irritation, and chronic respiratory problems like infection and bronchitis. A joint study by the EPA and Berkeley National Laboratory fond that: “Of the 21.8 million people reported to have asthma in the U.S., approximately 4.6 million cases are estimated to be attributable to dampness and mold exposure in the home.”